Mexican Spice Beans & Rice
This dish has the delicious spices of Mexico with the hearty, fibrous texture of the beans and rice. To mix things up I used chickpeas in this recipe but feel free to use black beans instead for a more authentic Mexican flare.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can brown beans in tomato sauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp. Bragg's soy sauce
- 3 tsp. chilli powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/8 cup cilantro chopped
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add celery, pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, mixed veggies and rice.
Add soy sauce, chilli powder and cumin.
Heat over medium to low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Top with nutritional yeast and cilantro before serving.