These cookies are the perfect holiday treat. You can make and serve them plain or add a buttercream, or cream cheese icing.
These cookies are simple to make and are very tasty. They will come out soft so if you prefer hard cookies, allow them to cook a few more minutes.
- 2 flax eggs, 3 Tbsp. Ground flax + 6 Tbsp water
- 1 cup coconut oil or vegan butter Vegan butter tends to work a little better with this recipe.
- 1 1/5 cups coconut, or brown, sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups organic unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling You may need more or less for rolling depending on how much you coat the batter.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place flax egg in a large bowl and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
Add coconut oil and sugar.
Using hand mixer blend until creamy.
Add molasses and and vanilla and mix again.
Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and mix.
Add flour one cup at a time and mix until dough forms.
Roll one to two tablespoons of dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until they begin to crack on top.
When cooked allow to cook for about 5 minutes on pan, then cool completely.
I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I love developing them.
Until next time,
Rachel Joy Olsen, BSc., MBA
Vegan Chef, Author, health & Wellness Coach